At my church, we are participating in the 'Big Welcome' next Sunday, 25th September. It's a special opportunity to invite along friends and family who would not normally go to church. It also provides a reason to evaluate how good our welcome is to those who visit us.
The Top Ten Tips for Welcome have been circulated to Baptist churches via a six minute video, which you can watch here. Below is a summary of the tips:
- Don't let people struggle to find you
- Make sure what you offer is relevant
- Know why you go to church
- Know that hospitality is your duty
- Know how well your church is doing
- Don't accept 2nd best - coach and train people to give a welcome
- Know what is expected of you
- Know the difference between 'greeting' and 'welcoming'
- Apply the 3-Minute rule. Talk to someone you don't know for at least three minutes, before you talk to those you already know.
- Decide what needs to be done.
It's all practical commonsense, but it's good to be reminded. Hopefully, we will get it right and give a big warm welcome!